Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Thanksgiving, 2010

Though it is still just a little more than a week away, I admit I am thinking of Thanksgiving. I love the simple beauty of Thanksgiving.  I suppose it is for all the usual reasons.  I look into the faces of my family and am grateful to share their lives, keep their secrets, to laugh at their jokes or silliness.  Both of my kids are better people than I ever hoped to be as a child - so each day - watching them walk their own paths, it is a wonder to me how they came to share my life.  As always, I chalk it up to their mom.

And I love to look back across the last year and find gratitude in places where I suppose the first celebrants of the holiday found it. The gathering of our clan, our continued good health, and the warm and tender mercies that grow out of being part of a community.  Good health and hugs and kisses, especially, color my holiday thanks.  This year will bring a rare chance for all of us to see my older brother from Maine, his wife and two of their great kids.  Though we are a week from that happy reunion, that topic alone dominated the table talk at my home tonight.

And we give thanks for our time together, moments that are so wonderful in just the mere living of them.  Just over two years ago, my mother, a long time cancer survivor, had a significant scare in terms of her health.  We were all scared to death about what might come next.  She was brave.  Truthfully, "brave" does not do it justice, but in America the word "dauntless" is not much used. She was, nonetheless, dauntless.

That summer, a miracle happened.  On the very same day she gathered us all to discuss her final plans and wishes, I suppose the term "making arrangements" is most commonly used for such events, her doctor said to her that while he had no medical explanation for the fact that she was getting better; she was indeed getting better.  That day was roughly 750 days ago.  In that time we have had many gatherings, holidays, weekends at the cottage. There have been frequent causes for laughter, celebration, moments to say "I love you."  She is radiant in her enthusiasm - a roll model of courage and human spirit for all of us.  We celebrate her this day and all days. 

That blessing, that most brilliant of all tender mercies, stands tall over the landscape of my gratitude this year.  You just can't miss it.  Continued health, her triumphant spirit, and the life's lesson that we should celebrate each day as a gift.

Sure there are other things for which I could be a little more grateful.  I'd like to hang on to my hair, which started checking out steadily when I was about 23 and hasn't slowed down a step in the subsequent 23 years.  I'd like the Lions to win on Thanksgiving Day.  And who wouldn't like a little more money in the bank, or some new toys or trinkets to play with?  But when it comes right down to it - to enjoy the smells of Thanksgiving - bread, pie, turkey roasting with my mother-in-law's famous stuffing. And add to that the the sounds of the holiday - the squeal of the kids seeing their cousins, our parents still healthy and vibrant.  The laughter. Those are the bricks in my wall. 

In terms of traditions we have all the good ones - turkey, dressing (my mother-in-law makes the best I've ever had) pumpkin pie, football, shopping the next day and late night sandwiches on rye bread with Hellman's real mayonnaise.  Among my more happy traditions of the day is a prayer I stumbled upon two years ago when we celebrated the first Thanksgiving after my mom's recovery.  I come back to it now every year at this time.  It is one of my favorites.


Lord, behold our family here assembled.
We thank you for this place in which we dwell,
for the love that unites us,
for the peace accorded to us this day,
for the hope with which we expect the morrow;
for the health, the work, the food and the bright skies
that make our lives delightful;
for our friends in all parts of the earth. Amen

I particularly like that line "Lord, behold our family here assembled..."  What an elegant way to just hug those that are close to you and hold them as if to say "I am so grateful; we here assembled are so grateful.  Living in this moment we aren't taking anything for granted..."  Such a blessing to be able to say such words on Thanksgiving.


It is a day for standing within and looking out - for listening to the kids giggling, the family chattering, the clinking and clanking of dishes, and to just look out from within and give thanks for what you see.  And if you slow down, and put the day's petty troubles into their proper place, it is a day for wanting all that you have; not having all that you want.  Such is the nature of thanks, at least to me.

So thanks for stopping by my blog and for your continued support.  I hope you and yours have a terrific Thanksgiving holiday; wherever it is you find yourselves assembled.

Dennis
smalltowndad@hotmail.com

3 comments:

HP said...

As you know, I took a hiatus from Thanksgiving for the last 5 years. For many personal reasons it was a day I just survived, but didn't cherish. You encouraged me to give it another chance, and this year, I will. I think it is no coincidence that Thanksgiving this year falls on November 25. The birthday of a special person. So with that, I raise a glass to you Denny, and give thanks.

Small Town Dad said...

Well HP - in the words of my favorite 70's era tv cowboy-detective, McCloud, "There ya go..."

Dennis :-)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for you and your family in my families life will be in our prayers this holiday season.

Give your family our best.

Cal