Friday, October 22, 2010

A diversion...

I am following with a sad heart today the story of a toddler who lost his hand in an accident in a local restaurant.  The event was reported by the local "news media" in the most vacant, absent-minded effort at journalism I have seen.  I have promised to publish the name of the establishment here if I can confirm it before the professional journalists do.

My training, many years ago, was as a journalist.  I find myself in these circumstances because I just can't believe that any responsible news organization would actually publish a story so laden with emotion and alarm and local relevance, and yet not name the restaurant.  It's crappy, lazy reporting.

As I said, if I confirm the name of the restaurant before it is published by the MSM - pretty much in my spare time today - I will publish here.

Update 1:37 pm Friday:

According to eyewitness reports, units from Meridian Township Police and Fire were called yesterday to a local restaurant to provide urgent medical assistance to a toddler injured in a kitchen accident.

On Thursday, October 21, at around 1:30 pm, units from MTPD and MTFD responded to a call for help at Lucky House Chinese Restaurant, 1741 W. Grand River, in Meridian Township.  While neither police or fire officials will confirm the precise nature of the emergency at that address, eyewitness reports and reports from other media sources indicate that a toddler, reportedly aged 2, lost one of his hands in a meat grinder in the kitchen.

Eyewitnesses described the scene as "horrific' and "terrible."  According to representatives from a neighboring businesses, the condition of the boy is not known at this time.

Members of the neighboring business community were unsure as of this report if anyone is accepting donations to assist the family or the boy involved in this tragedy.

Representatives from Lucky House were unavailable for comment. A hand written sign in the window of the restaurant indicates the establishment is temporarily closed.

-30-

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your efforts on this, especially for leaning hard on LSJ. They are indeed lazy and sloppy on a routine basis. Now I can't seem to find comments section on the LSJ stories about this incident. Possible LSJ has shut down the comments for some reason?

johoedeman said...

Yes - I noticed yesterday afternoon that the "comments" were missing from the LSJ site.

johoedeman said...

Hmmm, don't know why my comment was shown as being submitted at 6:10 PM. It's presently 7:11 AM, 10/23/10.

Small Town Dad said...

johoedeman - I never set the time accurately when I started the blog. Weird that LSJ took down the comments.

Thanks for visitng the blog and for your support!