Thursday, October 14, 2010

My lifetime of Michigan moments....

Earlier this past summer, the State of Michigan sponsored a contest for people willing to share their Michigan moments.  Entrants were encouraged to share an essay with no more than 300 words, or eight photos, or both.  Five very fine winners were announced on October 11. And, while I did not win, I did want to pass along my entry.

My Michigan Moment is a lifetime of moments; moments of joy on Mackinac Island, or being comforted by warm Vernor’s on a day home from school. Moments spent running the air conditioning and the furnace in the same 24 hour period.
 
They are moments shared with my Dad listening to Ernie and Paul, or Bob Ufer cheering for Bo. Earvin Johnson, Tom Izzo, Sparky Anderson, and Jud Heathcote are all parts of my Michigan moment. And a plucky kid named Stevie Y who wore the C on his sweater or Gibby versus the Goose and Vinnie Johnson and 00.7.

My Michigan moments are in small streams and on great lakes, on mossy trails and busy highways. They are at the Freedom Festival, Hockeytown, the Mystery Spot and Greenfield Village. Looking at the Mackinaw Bridge and feeling a sense of pride is perhaps as unique a Michigan moment as there is. Looking at Sea Shell City and wondering "why" and "how" is so specially Michigan.

My Michigan moments walk the state in souvenir moccasins and are held tight in cedar boxes. They are celebrated with fudge or cherries. A taste of Saunders or anything at Lafayette or American; or taking in the smells of the Eastern Market, those are favorite Michigan moments.

Moments spent racing my wife and kids to count the first robin of spring and the last snowflake of winter are supremely Michigan. Recalling a memory of dueling my brothers on sleds – breathless and our faces stinging, beet red from the cold, that is a Michigan moment.  School's out because of deer day, where else but in Michigan?

For me, my Michigan moment is my lifetime of moments here – all lovely, colored in a palette of autumn brilliance and spring splendor. It’s the love I have for this place, the life it has given me. The grit, the toughness, and the hope that being a son of Michigan breeds. It’s the sound of the summer breeze splashing through leafy trees, the smell of fresh cut grass on a little league field, or laughing with friends over a round of golf.

Those are my indelible Michigan moments.

Thanks for stopping by my blog today; whether you are just down the street or looking in from across the country, I hope that your days are special ones and that you too have been blessed by some special Michigan moments.

8 comments:

Small Town Dad said...

It has been pointed out to me that, given the limit of 300 words for the competition, I ignored a woefully huge chunk of Michigania in my post. (Better Made potato chips AND Faygo pop) Also, calling it Pop! Please please please share what you <3 about Michigan here! :-)

Small Town Dad said...

Town Club Pop. Safetyville in the Flint Area, Boblo Island, and the River Roar.

Small Town Dad said...

Fred Troste is a grab bag full of Michigan moments. George Pierrot, Sunny Eliott, Al Ackerman, Jack Leghoff, John Kelly, Bill Bonds threatening to fight Mayor Young.

Anonymous said...

eryl - Greektown, Tigers baseball, Sault Ste. Marie locks, Holland in the fall, going over the bridge (or under in the tunnel) to Windsor, Canada for a great Hungarian meal, Lions football on Thanksgiving day (always lost), Higgin's Lake, "Bob's" in Alanson for great ribs and fish, driving along ANY of the coastlines, Art's n' Apples in Rochester, fishing in Lake St. Clair....I miss Michigan's beauty and memories. Thanks, Dennis, for reminding me of the great 13 years we lived there.

Anonymous said...

Jumping on the train in Mt Pleasant and riding it to Cadillac and one of my all time favorite evenings with Michael... Our trip on the Polar Express to the North Pole out of Owosso:)

Scanning the shores of lake Michigan and Lake Charlevoix for Petoskey stones:) Camping with my family and friends at several of Michigan's beautiful State Parks:) Oh, and Pine Knob too! Okay...I am going to try to stop now:)

Anonymous said...

Running & laughing, climbing the Sleeping Bear Dunes, as a child & now with my own family, our numerous lighthouses, Houghton Lake/Gaylord, Mac's Dune Ride; Tahquamenon Falls, Mexican Village; Michigan's Adventure, fall canoeing at Proud Lake, Woodward Dream Cruise. Wonderful memories!

Anonymous said...

outside at night, up looking at the stars and no light from the city to spoil the darkness, driving through tunnels of trees all decked out in their colors, greenfield village on an October day with full color and about 75 degrees, skipping school to enjoy it all, jumping in piles of leaves (when you could actually jump in them before you started your bonfire. Ahhhh yes, so enjoyable

Anonymous said...

Yes, really.